Sunday, October 7, 2012

"I don't believe in emo."

Hi! I'm Kendall, I am a senior in high school and I want to remember my life. This is how I am going to do it. 

I like the name momentous because I want to remember the moments in life. The little moments and the big moments. They are momentous: important, meaningful, prominent. Get it? Yes of course you do. I like bad puns, no big deal.

This weekend was wonderful, and it's not even over yet. The highlights of my weekend were:

 Babysitting for some of the most joyful girls I know on Thursday night. Rynn and Eleanor are nonstop giggles and I love spending time with them. If I'm stressed for even a second when I walk into the Littles' home, it washes away in about two seconds. I love that we always play Chinese checkers together and that I got to play mom by helping them with homework and that I always get to read them Bible stories before bed. I love them.


 How gorgeous the first weeks of fall are. Happy October, by the way! Step one foot outside my house and this is what you see. I love fall for a lot of reasons, but mostly because the leaves are so beautiful.


 Visiting Carolyn at Marquette. I took the train up to Milwaukee on Friday afternoon and spent most of the weekend up there. I loved meeting her friends and seeing her future apartment and eating dorm food at random times of the day and everything about being there. Carolyn is super special to me and I love that we are still friends even when I can't see her every day or every week. 


★ Going to my second Needtobreathe, Parachute, and Drew Holcomb concert in two weeks. The first time was in September at Wheaton College with my wonderful friends from work crew - Maddie, Kacey and Serena. Friday night I went to see Needtobreathe again in Milwaukee with Carolyn and her friends Lexi, Eric, Max and Colleen (aka Beanz). 


  Spotting (literally) some lovely ladies from Kairos while at Needtobreathe. Before the concert started, I looked across the theater and did that totally sketchy eye-lock thing with Emily. Turns out she and Maggie, who are freshmen at Marquette, were at the concert too! Maggie was one of my leaders on Kairos 38 and Emily was a retreatant like I was. They are so wonderful - I can't explain how happy I was to see them and give tons of hugs, just like on 38.


 Meeting Will Anderson, the lead singer of Parachute. Let's be honest, I'd marry the guy in a  second. A solo photo op was definitely necessary and may or may not have made my night, especially because we were super far away in the balcony for the first Needtobreathe concert.


  Meeting Drew Holcomb, of Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors, who also opened for Needtobreathe. Drew is super hilarious but also super chill, something I can't pull off. I love that his jokes are still funny to me the second time around and that we casually chatted about his new baby (due in November!!!) and that we ended up taking three different pictures with him at three different points of the night. I don't love that his Christmas tour is only around Nashville. Shootskies.

 Hanging out at the Shymanskys' house on Saturday night. The Shymanskys are a Young Life family in Whitefish Bay, WI, right outside of Milwaukee. Catherine Shymansky, the mom, has got to be one of the wisest and most hilarious women I have ever met. I'm not even kidding. We spent hours talking about Young Life, including having YL babies. Seriously give me any excuse to talk about YL and I'm in.

Now, get ready for the best part (actually debatable: there were a lot of best parts) of my weekend...


BIG COOKIE!

 Big cookie is a Young Life camp tradition, and Max, Eric, Carolyn, Tommy and me being the good YL kids we are, it was a no brainer to make it. Good big cookie is half baked, covered in ice cream and doused in chocolate syrup. I also loved seeing Tommy, a super great kid from my work crew who lives in the same area that Max, Carolyn and Eric lead in. I loved reliving some WC memories with him and it made me even more excited for our big reunion in January.

Going to Impact for the second week in a row. I'm on a roll, right? I love my small group and the girls in it. I love that we are intentional in supporting each other in struggles and celebrating in joys. I love that after Impact, Grace went to Panda for food, I went to Steak n Shake, and we ended up bringing our food to Chipotle. I love my girls.

still trying to figure out how to sign off of this thing,
Kendall

P.S. The title of this post is a Cath Shymansky gem. We were flipping through a mood-a-day calendar and when I flipped to emo, she let us know how she really felt about it. I think not believing in emo is a pretty great life decision though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment