Thursday, November 8, 2012

"Photocopying is not one of my spiritual gifts."

Last time I talked about Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist. Turns out she has too many gems for that just to be a one-time deal.

"Everybody has a home team: it's the people you call when you get a flat tire or when something terrible happens. It's the people who, near or far, know everything that's wrong with you and love you anyway. The home team people are the ones you can text with five minutes' notice, saying, I'm on my way, and I'm bringing tacos."
-Shauna Niequist

(Tacos and beautiful words? This girl gets me.)

Tonight was WyldLife leadership, aka an afternoon with my favorite people. Young Life is my home team.

I am really glad I got to pick up Katharine from school like I was her mom, and that no matter if it's been two weeks or two minutes since I've last seen her, everything is just good: we talk in the infamous Ambiguous Foreign Accent, take too many selfies, and sing along to the radio at the top of our lungs. I'm glad we got to talk about why our friendship works and I'm glad she is my bestest best friend.


 Me driving in Evanston is a challenge. But I was pumped for Chipotle with Meghan, Gabbie and Katharine, some of my favorite ladies. I love that we are all such Young Life kids, and how that makes doing highs and lows of the week or talking about student staff or Fall Weekend or WyldLife the norm. I love that we can be real with each other and be tired or stressed without feeling bad.

 Next was Meghan's dorm; we all obviously fit in with the cool college kids, being seniors in high school and all. I felt even more like a mom when I dropped Meghan off, my car was starting to feel like a chauffeur service! :) I really really wanted to give whoever made her door sign a cupcake or puppy or taco or something. Too hilarious. Meghan Morris aka Sasha Fierce.

Our final stop in the afternoon of fun was the Young Life office for a WyldLife meeting and the usual shenanigans. As you can tell, we are very active, exciting, rambunctious people. No seriously, I promise.

I just now noticed the tribute to our old area director, Brian Trost. And I love it. When I was a camper at Castaway in 2011, Brian was on program as the nerdy bad guy, pocket protector and all. Brian is continuing to be seriously awesome (read: on Young Life staff) in Michigan now, and we miss him tons.

 
Microwave s'mores are practically tradition at the office by now. If there's one thing you should know about Young Life, it's that YL + food = happiness. YL - food = so sad. I love math.

Artsy photos gone wrong. This is why Christi is good at art in real life and I'm not. And yes, we did have to clean up all those bouncy balls after.

Have you heard about Fall Weekend? Of course you have. Have you heard that Taylor Swift is gonna be at our Fall Weekend? Probably not. You heard it here first, y'all.

(Disclaimer: Taylor Swift will unfortunately not be at Fall Weekend but I intend on playing her new album in my cabin nonstop, so that counts right?)

P.S. Heather Gibbs is not spiritually gifted in photocopying. I like to think I am spiritually gifted in wearing leggings as pants and quoting Friends. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment